Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide #1)
by Douglas Adams

Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor.

Together this dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox--the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with the disappearance of all the ballpoint pens he bought over the years.

1 comment:

Lady Loretta said...

Entertaining! Chaotic! WTF?! at the best point in the story, when I wasn't laughing hard enough for a stitch to develop in my side, I was seriously pondering what kind of extra-curricular element Douglas Adams consumed to warp this tale into existence! I haven't seen the movie yet, but I feel I can now at least follow the story line *snickers* a bit better, should I decide to watch it, that is.

Probably the best element of this tale is the Deep Thought computer. LOVE it! and what is with Mr. Depression Bot? I mean, who would embody that emotional suicide in a robotic servant?! Seriously, Mr. Adams! What did you mix into that cocktail? At any rate, I can't thank you enough for entertaining my brain for a few hours at the very least!

42, indeed... wait! What was the question?